Man U summer fire sale to begin...

For the chaps here

Man U summer fire sale to begin...

Postby Workingman » 30 Apr 2024, 16:17

After a dismal season and failure to get in the Champions League they have to sell, sell, sell in order to buy due to financial fair play rules, and only three of the first team squad are guaranteed to stay: Mainoo; Garnacho and Hojlund. All the rest can go, but who will want them!?

I imagine Ten Hag is also part of the fire sale's offerings.
Workingman

Re: Man U summer fire sale to begin...

Postby JoM » 16 May 2024, 19:58

I’m firmly Ten Hag in. He’s had a lot to deal with this season with Greenwood and Sancho, the sale of the club and the uncertainty surrounding that, the ridiculous amount of injuries. Jim Ratcliffe and co are bringing in people with a footballing background to replace the clueless bankers (not rhyming slang but it works) that the Glazers put in charge of footballing matters so he needs a chance with a better structure behind him.

Players I’d like to see the team built around are Bruno Fernandes, Lisandro Martinez, Garnacho, Hojlund, Mainoo, Amad and Willy Kambwala. There’s a lad coming through from the under 18s, Ethan Wheatley, who looks an interesting prospect too.
As for Rashford, he should be first out of the door. His attitude has been appalling this season, and it does make you wonder if he only put the effort in last season because he was coming up to contract renewal time and a wage increase.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Re: Man U summer fire sale to begin...

Postby Workingman » 16 May 2024, 21:07

Sorry, Jo, but as a L Utd supporter I partly disagree.

'Fall down' Fernandes is a disgrace, Garnacho, Hojlund are good but Mainoo ain't there yet. You do need the fire sale, and then some.

Mid table for a few years looms but it might not be a bad thing tbh. Building from the academy rather than buying 'stars' might be the way to go. SAF did it, and it worked - oh yes!

It's what we might have to do. If we fall at the play-offs we will lose first team players so will have to look at the academy. Fortunately we have a good one.
Workingman

Return to The Shed